Click on the links below for more information on these popular transactions.
- Renew your registration online, by mail or in-person Renew online now!
- Registration Checklist – Vehicle purchased from a private party
- Registration Checklist – Vehicle purchased from a dealership, financed
- Registration Checklist – Vehicle purchased from a dealership, cash purchase
- New Residents
- Registration Checklist- Corporate Vehicle
QUESTIONS ABOUT PROOF OF INSURANCE FOR REGISTRATION RENEWALS?
Even if you have provided proof of insurance in the past, you may be asked to provide it again if your insurance carrier has not transmitted data for your proof of insurance to the State of Colorado.
Insurance companies are required by law to provide necessary information on their policy holders to the State database by the seventh day of each month.
If your insurance company has not submitted this information in time, you will need to provide proof of insurance to our office by mail, fax, in-person or by email attachment displayed on a smartphone in our office, before your registration can be renewed.
Contact your insurance company to provide proper verification.
**Note: The effective date on your insurance document must be current (i.e. the coverage can’t start on a day in the future.)
***New Law: You must have Colorado Insurance to register your vehicle, even for residents just moving into the State.
List of IDs that are accepted at our offices
Bill of Sale
VIN Verification Sheet
Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney
Proof of Insurance Requirements
- Vehicles must be covered by auto insurance before they can be registered.
- If state records indicate a vehicle is not insured in Colorado, proof of insurance must be provided.
- Insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company’s letterhead including a description of the vehicle with the following: year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), effective date and expiration of the policy.
- Insurance must be Colorado Insurance NEW
Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship -JTWROS