Contact the Chaffee County Elections Department
Phone: (719) 539-4004 email: PBarnett@chaffeecounty.org. Check or update your voter registration record online at www.govotecolorado.com.
Primary Election – June 28, 2016
Voters! It is time to drop-off your ballot instead of putting in in the mail. We need to receive your ballot by 7:00pm on Election Day, Tuesday, June 28th. POSTMARKS DO NOT COUNT!
We have 24 hour a day 7 days a week boxes open until 7:00 PM on Election Day. Salida-104 Crestone Ave, Curbside, Clerk’s Office and in Buena Vista, 112 Linderman Ave, Motor Vehicle Branch Office, Curbside.
TIPS FOR MAIL BALLOTS:
You will receive the ballot, instructions, secrecy sleeve and return envelope.
- Select candidates you wish to vote on.
- Use a blue or black pen that will not bleed through the paper to vote your ballot. Completely fill in the oval next to the selection you want to vote for.
- If you do not want to vote the entire ballot, simply mark your selections and leave the rest blank.
- NEW THIS ELECTION: The voter removes the stub at the top of the ballot. This stub is an important quality assurance component used by the print vendor to ensure the proper ballot style gets mailed to the voter. If the voter does not remove the stub an election judge will remove it during processing.
- Place your ballot in the white secrecy sleeve that came with your ballot.
- Place the ballot and secrecy sleeve in your return envelope addressed to Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder, PO Box 699, Salida, CO 81201.
- Sign the signature affidavit located on the back of the envelope. This is required in order for your ballot to be processed. Election Judges must compare every signature to make sure that the intended voter was the one who signed the envelope.
QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR MAIL-IN BALLOT:
- What if my ballot does not arrive? If your Primary Election ballot does not arrive by June 16, 2016 please call or come to the Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder’s office at 104 Crestone Ave. in Salida to obtain a replacement ballot. You may also visit a Voter Service and Polling Center in Salida or Buena Vista beginning June 20th.
- I spoiled my ballot, now what do I do? Please call the Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder’s office at 539-4004 or stop by the office. You may obtain a replacement ballot during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- I am unaffiliated. Can I vote in the Primary? Unaffiliated voters can affiliate with the Democratic or Republican Party and vote in the Primary Election by completing and returning their letter that was recently sent in the mail from the Clerk’s office or by going to the Clerk and Recorder’s Office, or online at govotecolorado.com . In order to mail a ballot, the Clerk needs to receive the affiliation declaration by June 20, 2016. You may go to the Clerk’s office to pick up your ballot through Election Day June 28, 2016.
- Why does my ballot look different this year?
Chaffee County has moved to more effective and efficient election equipment in 2016. This means that the ballot design has changed. Voters will now fill in an oval to mark choices and the voter may remove the ballot stub at the top of the ballot.
Voter Service and Polling Center (VSPC) Locations beginning June 20th:
Salida, Clerk and Recorder’s Main Office, 104 Crestone Ave.
Buena Vista, Motor Vehicle Branch Office, 112 Linderman Ave.
Ballot Drop Off locations:
Salida, curbside ballot box open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 104 Crestone Ave.
Buena Vista, curbside ballot box open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 112 Linderman Ave.
2016 Primary Election- June 28, 2016 – Sample Ballots
Important Election Dates for 2016
June 20th: Voter Service and Polling Centers (VSPCs) in Salida and Buena Vista will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for the return of mail ballots; replacement ballots; voter registration; updating voter records with an address or name; casting an in-person paper ballot; or voting on an accessible ballot marking device.
Saturday, June 25th: VSPCs in Salida and Buena Vista will be open for voter services from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, June 28, 2016, Primary Election Day: VSPCs in Salida and Buena Vista will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
November 8, 2016 General Election
Update your voter registration record online at www.govotecolorado.com.
Certificate of Designation by Petition
- Unaffiliated Candidate General Election Designation Petition
- Candidate Acceptance of Petition Nomination
Certificate of Designation by Write-In